You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘commisions’ tag.

So I’ve been busy busy thanks to life as a postgrad. The last week and a half has been tied up with stats for the report due on the 1st which we’re all stressed like crazy about. We have been told that simple, clear and concise is the name of the game so I’m trying to keep from going to crazy. I have to print out my Primer stuff and run a few things through spss and I’ll be done and can begin figuring out what it all means and how I want to present my story.

The aborted boat trip was rescheduled for two weeks ago and we got so far as getting on the boat and filling out the emergency contact forms when we found out that due to the conditions we weren’t going to be able to go out. We did get to do a few grabs off the side of the boat just at the dock so now at least I can say I’ve done them and know how they work. We’re on for this weekend for a different trip and fingers crossed it will go as planned as we seem to be cursed and the weather isn’t looking that great.

I finished the arch socks and sent them off so I hope the recipient likes them, I do very much even though I should have finished them ages ago. The mystery socks are coming along. I’m a clue behind am just finishing up the leg now, I only have one more repeat of the tiny trowels to go before I can start the heel. I also have received a commission from one of my house mates to knit her sister who is doing a year abroad in Minnesota a pair of mittens. We settled on a pattern and I suggested some yarn so we’ll talk colours and price and then I can get on those.

Since I started running again two weeks ago I’ve stuck to it and am progressing nicely. I’ve decided to run week 4 again to fully feel comfortable with 5 minutes. I think I can push myself to do it. I also bought a running vest as I wanted something to cut the wind a bit but not be too heavy. It’s great and I really like it.

Suse Socks

Pattern: Arch-shaped socks by Jen Showalter

Yarn: Araucania Itata Multi in Green and Gold approx. 61 grams

Needles: 2.5 mm / US 1 1/2

These socks took entirely too long to knit but the finished project is really very nice, though the pictures here really don’t give them justice. Adding it the ribbing on the foot was a bit tricky as the pattern wasn’t written this way bit if you just for it it seems to work out fine. The main reason I picked this pattern is that the recipient, while having a similar foot length as me has slightly narrower feet and I thought that the ribbing would make up for that.

The yarn is very pretty, a wool/bamboo/silk blend. The silk and bamboo give it a beautiful sheen but I found the bamboo makes it a bit crunchy as it knits up and doesn’t move on the needles very well. The final fabric, especially after a wash in Eucalan is very soft and overall I’m very pleased with the outcome.

These socks where #8 in my 10 for 2010 list. I will probably knit another pair at some point for myself, perhaps using some of the mods other people have posted on ravelry.

I’m skipping along with the arch shaped socks, I managed 30 rows yesterday which I think is almost halfway done with the foot. I think I might be able to manage to finish them by the end of the week. But I said that two times before and woefully and spectacularly didn’t make it in under the deadline. They are being knit for my boss who since she asked me has left the organization so I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to connect with her to get the socks to her. I made one attempt which didn’t work out but I have plan.

I cast on the mystery socks. Oh god two at a time on magic loop! It looks like a tangled mess. I’ve only done the first row so I have faith it will straighten out and not be so tangled. The first row is always a bit wonky to begin with.

On the other hand, masters news. We were supposed to go out on the research vessel today to do some benthic grabs and essentially have geeky science fun. I was quite looking forward to it until I heard that it has been canceled today.  At first I thought it was because of the weather as there are heavy rain/flash flood warnings for the area but the hearsay seems to be that our course director had some words with the captain and the captain wouldn’t sail. Seems really childish and unfortunate for us students as the opportunity to use the vessel for a design of our own is a really big part of the course and now we’ll only get to go out the once in two weeks times. Sucks much.

My boss asked me to knit her a pair of socks after she saw the Leyburns I knitted last month (pictures and info soon), she said she’d pay for the yarn and as she is my boss I took the deal. As I finished my Ishbel last night I started to brainstorm a pattern and yarn for her. She’s sort of funky but also a very conservative dresser and outdoorsy person. I settled on the Arch-shaped socks that I’ve looked at for a while, I’ll probably knit it with the mods for more ribbing. I thought it would look nice in some Malabrigo Sock with that subtle variation in colour that I love. So I go to the Webs site and find some really nice Araucania Wool/Silk/Bamboo for about the same price. Then I found some other really beautiful yarns discounted (I love Webs) but I managed to restrain myself as I am going to go to the brick and mortar store once I get home. I did get some Rancho discounted in green as I don’t have a green pair of socks yet.